Thursday, January 6, 2011

Finding Your Niche

I'd like to start out by saying THANK YOU to everyone who took the time to read my posting and comment. It's so important that we all work together to grow our small businesses and find success, and you have the right attitude! now for more ...

You know this reminds me of a funny coincidence. When I started my events planning business, working out of my home in Jeffersonville, I thought "this is great, no one does this." Within the first year of working I was blown away. Not only do other people actually do this, there are two of them, both young mothers like myself, both working from their homes, both within 15 minutes drive of my house! Absolute insanity! The first time I was faced with this I found myself at a crossroads. I had received a phone message from one such woman asking me to call her back so we could discuss the situation. This could have gone either way. I put a smile on my face though and picked up the phone, and ... amazingly, was met with the same positive attitude. I want to thank Mauranda Dalziel (former owner of PromoteVT), for that kind introduction into reality. This is a SMALL state, and we're ALL trying to make it. We can either fight eachother for the market or we can work together for the market. Mauranda and I chose to work together. A couple months later when I met Jackie, another events planner just up the road from me, I decided to extend the same hand that Mauranda had extended me, and now Jackie and I are working together.

Over the years I've come across a handful of businesses "at war" with other like-businesses. This attitude is beyond me, and really very sad. Though there may not be an infinite number of consumers for all of us to share, there are infinite approaches. How about, instead of fighting eachother, we, each and every one of us, get creative in our approach; find a niche market that isn't already being satisfied?

I've been introduced to a number of small-business groups. Many of you have probably heard of these: SCORE, BMI, Success Teams. These groups all share something in common: they are Vermont business owners sitting around a table and discussing how they can work together to be more successful. Though I haven't been able to join any of these groups yet I find it refreshing that I alone can carry this attitude with me into my business practices. You can too.

Please share your thoughts. More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment