Thursday, July 29, 2010

We work hard so you don't have to.


I wish I could say I knew what I wanted to do from childhood on. I wish I could say I had an MBA in communications and marketing. I suppose I could say it ... but I'd be lying. Cambridge Event & Design wasn't born of any lifelong drive. It was born of timing, necessity, and convenient work-experience. I've been in business for myself for only a year now. I know ... never admit such things ... but it's the truth. That's not to say I've only been doing this work for a year. On the contrary, somehow, someway, regardless of where I've been employed in the past or what my job description was, I always ended up being the business's "marketing girl." I never received the official title (and monetary compensation) of course, but the responsibility has repeatedly fallen on my shoulders. I'd like to think it's because I'm good at it. Actually ... I will think that ... sound like a plan?

When I found myself abruptly unemployed last summer I was faced with three options.

1. Go on unemployment: not all that desirable, and considering I'm a single mother of three, not all that responsible either.
2. Jump back in and hit the streets applying for jobs. I started this, a little. I put my resume out and got in touch with some key people, but my heart wasn't in it.
3. Take a chance, jump in with both feet, and make a go at working for myself.

And here we are.

Cambridge Event & Design is an events and marketing company that I run out of my home in Jeffersonville, VT. My overhead is low, and so are my prices. I coordinate events ranging from weddings to parades to family festivals and fundraisers. Events are fun ... they're exciting and frankly there's nothing better than seeing smiles on children's faces, but they aren't the backbone of this business. Marketing is what gets me by and it's what keeps me going. I really enjoy the design aspect of putting together ads, packaging, signs and banners, logos ... you name it. I have a special kinship with my computer and my design software that most people don't have. It's silly, I know, but I honestly do LOVE what I do. Lucky me. Lucky you.

For samples of my work and more information please visit www.cambridgeeventanddesign.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment